Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wochenende!

This weekend was my first weekend in Marburg where I could just relax, not deal with luggage, and choose my activities of choice.  This week was so unbelievably long; I was anxiously awaiting this weekend almost as much as Christmas when I was seven.  To make that clear, I really needed a freaking break.  6 hours of German class a day or more is just way too much.  Tomorrow I go back again (sigh), but at least I was able to have 2 days of freedom to refuel my energy towards the program.  On Thursday I was just about ready to book a one way flight home, pending we would have the same intensive classes next semester as well.  However, after some much needed sleep, food and a good run, I'm fine.  No, I'm not homesick.  We're all just frustrated with the program and its extreme schedule.  But enough about that.

This weekend was a blast!

The great weekend actually started with a roll play activity we did in culture class.  Yeah, I know I sound quite nerdy at this moment.  But it's all good.  We were doing a roll play about Germany after WWII and the division of occupation zones, war reparations, fixing other countries economies, etc. etc.  I was playing the role of the French Ambassador (everyone was automatically mad at me.. I had no fighting chance, not that France ever does much fighting.. ha).  People really got into the activity though, which made it super cool.

After class I went home, skyped a little from a building on campus quick and then went out bowling with friends.  Yes, Brittany Perry, there are bowling alleys here!  But the bowling alley here is like, super cute and more than just a bowling alley.  Theres a bar, pool table area, darts area, arcade, and even a haunted house for kids.  At first we were the only people there so we were just being typical annoying americans, but then quite a few other yonger Germans showed up so we began behaving ourselves.  We actually had a really great time doing something so simple for only an hour.  It was only 5 euros per person for an hour of bowling, which is like seven dollars, but it was a really nice alley and it's basically what we would pay at home anyways.  We found out there are student discounts on Sundays and Mondays so we're thinking about starting up a weekly Sunday bowling thing.  Epic, I know.

So, those are the girls I went bowling with.  We're kind of a posse here.  Most of us are from the midwest actually- Wisconsin and Minnesota.  The last picture with just Carissa and I, she's from Waukesha where I go to school! Ok, well I fully intended to write this whole weekend adventure now, but it turns out we're all leaving for dinner.  So I'll finish this later tonight... maybe?

2 comments:

  1. You skyped? I should learn how to do that, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i got name dropped in your blog! love it

    ReplyDelete