Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cool World Culture Facts!

Ok so I was seemingly bored this morning waiting for the sun to come out, and I found these cool/weird facts about the world and some cultures.. so I figured I would share them.  Some aren't all that special, but some I found pretty intriguing.  Here we go!
  • Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool, England -but only in tropical fish stores.
  • California has issued at least 6 drivers licenses to people named Jesus Christ.
  • The glue on Israeli postage is certified kosher.
  • In India, people are legally allowed to marry a dog.
  • Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.
  • If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction
  • The Hawaiian Alphabet only contains 12 letters: a, e, i, o, u, h, k, l, m, n, p and w. Every word ends with a vowel
  • There is a city called Rome on every continent.
  • Portuguese fishermen paint eyes on their boats. They hope that the eyes see where the fish are.
  • Coffee is the second largest item of international commerce in the world. The largest is petrol.
  • It is illegal to be a prostitute in Siena, Italy, if your name is Mary.
  • Atilla the Hun is thought to have been a dwarf.
  • It is a criminal offence to drive around in a dirty car in Russia.
  • It is illegal to play tennis in the streets of Cambridge.
  • Some Eskimos have been known to use refrigerators to keep their food from freezing.
  • Iceland is the world's oldest functioning democracy.
  • Between the two World War's, France was controlled by forty different governments.
  • Dublin is home of the Fairy Investigation Society.
  • People in Siberia often buy milk frozen on a stick.
  • The Matami Tribe of West Africa play a version of football, the only difference being that they use a human skull instead of a more normal ball.
  • The national flag of Italy was designed by Napoleon Bonaparte.
Ok, so some of them were funny, others just facts, but I found them kind of cool.  Today I am going for a walk in the mild version of sunshine that we have today, and then later I am going to check out a new apartment! The girl who I am currently renting from is coming back in the end of March, so I need to find a new apartment to move into by then.  This one that I found looks pretty nice, but we will have to see. 

Random, but, attention all women readers.. please read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  I have been reading the series for about a month now and they are probably the best books if not in a long time, ever, read.  Seriously.  I have told some of you to read them before but.. I must re-emphasize this now.  DO IT! haha.  Especially if you have a long plane ride coming up.. The one I was reading made my 8 hour flight feel like 4 :)  I think if I set this up right, you can just click on the name of the book where I wrote it and you can read the summary of the book or whatever. but read it.  seriously.  I just finished reading mine for 2 hours and felt the need to share their amazing-ness with the world.  Read!!!

Ok enough of that.  Im off on my walk and then to the new apartment.  Tschuesss!

No comments:

Post a Comment