Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Buurrrr-lin and Karnival Bananzas!

Well, I'm getting slightly behind on posts now that my classes have begun, but maybe I can somehow start catching up.  Classes so far are great; my teacher this semester is motivating me to learn 50 times more than the teacher last semester, the techniques and information she uses are interesting, and the content is actually useful and practical.  Aka, I can't complain.  We even have little random fun activities in class such as dressing up for Karnival, breakfast with the class, and random dance games.  Ok, I make it sound like Kindergarten but it's not, I swear! It's just every college student's dream class :)

... kind of..

So anyways.

Two weekends ago now, my program began and we all headed off for the customary beginning group trip to Berlin.  I wasn't as pumped as I was last time for our little escapade, but I guess it's just because I've done all the tours and sight seeing twice already (now three times) but it was alright.  We actually went to Potsdam this time, which is like the rich suburb of Berlin (although it is technically a different city) across a river.  It's beautiful! The houses are huge for German houses, all really elegant architecture and some are even quite modern.  There are adorable shopping districts such as the Dutch Quarter within Potsdam as well, drawing my extra attention therein.  Another tourist plus when it comes to Potsdam is the location of 16 palaces within the city.  One of which was used for the Potsdam conference in which Germany was divided into four different sectors after WWII.  Here is that palace:

The other main "to see" palace in Potsdam is the summer palace of Frederick the Great of Prussia.  His castle was by far way cooler than the one above, however, we were merely on a walking/bus tour of Potsdam and only were able to view the outside.  Apparently, Frederick the Great was very fascinated by fruits and growing seasons.  In the gardens of the palace there are 6 terraces which were once covered by orange and apple trees; bearing fruit in back to back seasons.  Frederick wanted to push the limits of fruit growers during that age and would pay farmers a reward if they could bring him apples in March and such.  He was quite the little fruit scientist, and his gardens show it.

The last picture shows the six terraces leading up to the palace.  Another additional note to the agricultural sciences, Frederick the Great was known as the man who brought the potatoe to Prussia/Germany so people leave potatoes on his gravestone in rememberance.  This fact isn't actually true but hey, let people dream.


The day after our Potsdam tour we did our usual walking tour of Berlin.  Unfortunately, our tour was lead by the same guide to the same places, using the same stories and even jokes.  It was quite boring but yet the weather was gorgeous so you couldn't help but just enjoy it.  The tour was about three hours, and I didn't take all that many photos since well, I have them all already!  I managed to take a few though.. Here we gooooo..

My personal highlight of the trip was actually quite a simple excursion to the Ritter Sport chocolate store and museum.  Ritter sport is the amazing german chocolate (also sold in the states, especially at Woodmans..) which is in a square with solid color wrapping.  It's absolutely mouth watering.  This coming from me, a person who prior to this trip to Germany was completely disinterested in chocolate, clearly means something.  The store had every flavor of chocolate imaginable for only 80 cents per bar (a huge bargain considering they're almost $3.00 in the USA..) and cute little knick-knacks with the logo attached.  The upstairs had a museum about how the chocolate was made and packaged, which one would think would be boring, but my friends and I actually thoroughly enjoyed.  Also, one could make their own dreamy chocolate combination; right when you walk in there was a counter with about 50 different flavors, nuggets, and smorsels waiting to be added to your white, dark, milk or whatever other chocolate base you wished.  I didn't create my own since my idea of a dream chocolate bar was already a best seller in their store: chocolate with strawberry filling and crispy things like you'd find in a crunch bar.  Don't doubt it until you try it.. it's absolutely delicious. Then again, what about German chocolate isn't?

The last day in Berlin, on a more depressing note than chocolate, we toured a prison of the prior KGB.  It was in a forbidden zone of Berlin, so many citizens were not even aware it existed until the wall fell.  The torture, interrogation and emotional draining that occured in that place just pulls at your heart the moment you walk through the gate.  It made my skin crawl in a strange way which I have only felt at a few other select memorial sites, one being a concentration camp.  You must remember, the torture and such endured in this prison only occured at maximum 70-ish years ago.  The stories of some of those held within the prison are just mind boggling; some were interrogated for 72 hours straight with only one question repedidly over and over.  They would be questioned until they were too exhausted to fight back and would confess to whatever would allow them to sleep.  After the Eastern German government took over in the mid 1950s, torture was not as intense as under the Soveit control (physically) but the psychological abuse they instilled would personally have killed me within a week.  The prisoners were left alone, no noise or interaction to the outside world other than interrogation sessions.  They were watched through holes in the wall and were forbidden to sit from 6 am to 10 pm, and were only allowed to sleep on their backs, arms on their sides, palms down.  If they rolled in their sleep, they were awoken and told to return to position.  Seriously.  It was hell.  And everything was a secret.  You had no idea where you were, neither did your family.  You just vanished.  Often, people were picked up in cars labeled as grocery cars or fish delivery wagons.  The extent of security and secrecy they went to was ridiculous.  If you want to know more, just ask.  I feel like if I kept rambling though, we'd be here way too long and it'd turn into my Portugal post all over again..

So yep.  That basically tied up Berlin in a nutshell.  Granted there were more social events and such, but those stories can wait for another day.  Here are the rest of my photos if you want to check them out..

And now for Karnival!  This last weekend was Karnival (time before lent.. just like Mardi Gras in New Orleans..).  The city of Cologne, about 3 hours north-west of Marburg holds the biggest celebration in Germany every year, involving parades, drinking, music, costumes, bratwurst stands, etc.  The ultimate German party ordeal.  My friend Alie from back home came over for the weekend and we took the train Sunday morning with a few others from my program right into the heart of Cologne.  I was shocked at how crazy the celebrations were- the parade was ridiculous! It was never ending! There was candy being chucked at intense force, drunk people in costumes (many men in snow white costumes.. I must admit I felt as though the Karnival somewhat raped my image of Disney characters..) and tulips everywhere.  It was awesome.  My friends and I had made our own masks the night before so we would have something to dress up in, and I must admit, they turned out pretty nifty!
Here are some pictures from the cologne celebrations..


We went back to Marburg that same night, and then Monday was Rosenmontag, or "Rose Monday." Aka, another reason to have another parade and drink in the streets! (Ok, sarcasm people, sarcasm..) but yes.  I had class in the morning from 9-1, so our class decided to dress up.  I was a pirate.  I must admit, I was quite fond of my costume :)

And before you ask, no, the guy in the background did not voluntarily choose his costume :)

After class we headed into town where there was a decently sized parade.  During lent, they sometimes play jokes on people.  If you are familiar with the Berliner doughnut (basically a jelly filled round doughnut) those are extremely popular during the days before lent.  However, sometimes, you will get one filled with mustard as merely a good hearted joke.  It happens; one can't really complain.  It is merely tradition.  Also, candy is thrown from the floats to the children.  However, sometimes, the people on the floats will throw joke items to older children or adults.  During my parade experience I was thrown what I thought to be a box of chocolates; turns out it was a pregnancy test.  But hey.  All in good fun.  My friends and I had a good laugh and then pocketed it for a later birthday gag gift. 


Further Karnival Photos..


So yes.  Happy Karnival everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment