Monday, April 18, 2011

Deux Cent Six

Well Menschen,  I'm back from Strasbourg.

The trip was pretty great, despite the lack of huge entertainment or large numbers of attractions to be seen.  However in that regard it was quite relaxing and gave me time to "smell the roses" or just enjoy the scenery; a thing I rarely get to do on my extremely short weekend glimpses of famous European cities.
Strasbourg is located in the part of France called the Alsace; basically the north-ish corner of France, next to Germany.  The area has been relocated and traded as German or French land four times, last time being after the Second World War.  The region is known for a high number of beautiful churches, castles, villages and vineyards.  The main city of the Alsace region is where I went: Strasbourg.  Strasbourg is the home of the European Union's Parliament building and is a city with very international roots.  Due to the changing of German/French ownership of the region, the city is somehow confusing upon first glance.  The houses and most things about the city appear to be an older German style, such as those seen in the south around Munich.  However, sitting down at a cafe' or entering the shops, you'll be greeted with a full on French welcome.  Or if not a greeting, at least a bit of French language upon asking questions.  But anyways.   It's amazing they even have a language, because after switching who owned them so many times (yes, I googled this.. wikipedia is my best friend..) they spoke all the following through the ages..
  • Old Frankish
  • Old High German
  • Latin
  • Gallic
  • Alsatian
  • Modern French
  • Modern German
Ok, maybe not that huge of a list, but still.  I think personally I would find myself extremely annoyed if what felt like every year my mother language was being switched out on me.  That generally is supposed to be a staple in one's life, but apparently those of the Alsace region are just special.  And may possibly have needed mucho therapy.  Hey now, hey now.  Just a possibility, not a fact.

Anywhooooo

So as mentioned, my trip was pretty relaxed.  My friend and I discovered that the city of Strasbourg really doesn't have that much for tourists to see, meaning prime tourist destinations.  My whole point of choosing the city was to go see the EU Parliament, but they were in session so access to the inside of the building/ guided tours were restricted.  Bummmmmer.  Fortunately you can still walk around the building, so we guided ourselves over the bridges and through the woods, which turned out to be a pretty gorgeous walk.  Especially considering the Orangerie Botanical Gardens, which provided a variety of gorgeous flowers, lawns, and a lake.  But back to the EU building.  Whoever designed it knows their stuff (I guess this is kind of obvious, since they chose him to design a building for the EU..).  Other events of the trip included a boat tour through the canals/river of the city (was really not that much to write home about.. ), some good food, great walks through the town, the Orangerie botanical garden and a little bit of French shopping.  But before we go further, can I please emphasize the amazing-ness of the French cuisine?  Clearly it is world renowned for being absolutely, mouth-wateringly delicious while also being eye-poppingly georgeous upon presentation.  But even their simple breakfast baguettes melt in your mouth! There are pastry shops everywhere! Chocolate confesseries by the dozens! BAKERIES WITH FRENCH STUFF WAFTING BEAUTIFUL FRENCH SMELLS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Ok.  Deep breath.

Another deep breath.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh it was SOOO good.  Ok, the baked goods were.  Especially my favorites: the baguettes & Macaroons.  But when it comes to actual food, the french aren't bad either, just well, available at strange times.  My friend and I ended up having to snack at cafe's two days in a row because we somehow missed the "lunch" time (both days we were there around 2 pm..).  It is like the food industry takes an afternoon nap, leaving the tourists with their mouths drooling over lucious menus on cafe' tables, only to be told the kitchens are closed.  However, darndest thing, the so called "nap time" is not easy to predict and it seemed as though any time after 11 am to 7 pm was "nap time."  It became so frustrating!! Perhaps it is only Strasbourg that is this way, but man.  I was getting so sick of eating only flamkuchen (a thiner version of a pizza..) due to the kitchens only having that available during this mid-day break.  Seriously.  No. more.  But Oh well.  Minor mishap.  I guess due to their amazing baked goods and confesseries, I'll forgive and forget.  (Well, forgetting isn't hard since while I was there I couldn't even remember to eat lunch "on time..")  At least now we know how the French stay so skinny.  Mystery solved people! Ok, now for some photos of the beloved baked goods :)
 
 

Ok, now that you're all drooling.. lets get to the things which won't make you contemplate ruining your spring diets (and thank god for mine that I was only there 3.5 days..).

Here are the photos from me wandering around the city and from the EU parliament...

 
 
 
 
 
 


So yes, that is Strasbourg.  I definitely recommend it to those who are looking for a laid-back, relaxed vacation with yet some definite culture to be absorbed and some great scenery.  I also recommend it to those in the older age groups, such as 60 and above, due to the variety of special shops and events which are geared towards their age group.  For my age group it was still a pretty great destination; there are bars and clubs to be experienced if one wants to find them :)  Strasbourg is really a great, unique location for a weekend getaway.. sooo.. do it! Oh and stay at hotel Dauphine :)  They're great!
Ok and one last random thought.. the ducks of Strasbourg (and swans) are vicious cookie ducks!

Cookie Duck- noun. a duck which has no fear of the human race due to often feeding of bread, cookies, crackers and other human-like food items.  Most often located in large cities or parks with small children found in the masses.  Term coined by my mother.

Anyways.. These ducks/swans would not stop at anything to get their hands on some lovely baguette.  Evidence?

There.  Caught in the act.  Duck helping himself to sandwhich.  Oh it is a brutal duck eat baguette world out there folks.

Ok so.  Quick update on the Marburg life.  Classes are going well.. can't report back too much.  I received the topic for my term paper for my class on the European Union today: The problems with the European Union and the addition of Turkey.  Should be interesting.  Here in Germany the Universities give usually one big paper, exam, or project for the final grade, not assignments throughout the semester which then accumulate to a grade.  It's an awkward system for me personally to adjust to, but I wouldn't say it's a bad system.  Just terrible for those who even slightly procrastinate, such as myself :)

Update on the reading schedule..  the book 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs isn't actually too bad.  Turns out she is the writer for the hit US television show "Bones."  Surprising? Not so much.  But hey.  At least it is surprisingly keeping my interests :)  I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a slightly gory, scientific, mystery which is an easy read.  Next book on the list is A Mercy  by Toni Morrison.  Apparently Toni Morrison is an extremely famous American author who specializes in African American stories.  Should be interesting.  I'm kind of thrilled that this book is somewhat smaller than the others.. hopefully it will be a quick and enjoyable read.. but we will see.. I dare those of you who are reading this blog and are fond of reading to read the books I'm reading for this class.. so far none have been disappointments.. especially Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and then let me know what you think :)  Another perspective which is American and not German could be interesting.

In other news, all of you college kids in the States should be finishing up soon.  I'm clearly a month behind all of you, and jealous of the sunshine you will be enjoying (that is, if Wisconsin ever thaws out..).

Ok well enough rambling for today.  I've got a class to get to.  And then some quiche to conquer.  Peace out homieeees.

1 comment: