Monday, February 7, 2011

Superbowl... Monday?

Well folks, I gotta say it.

WEEEEEEEEEEE ARE THE CHAAAAMPIONS MY FRIEEEEENDS!!!
(cue Queen- We are the Champions)

The Packers won the Superbowl! We are world champions! MY HOME TEAM!  Oh my goodness, was I excited.  I woke up this afternoon with a sore throat due to excessive screaming, wearing green and gold from head to toe and the biggest smile on my face.  Today, folks, is a great day to be a Packers fan.  Especially a Packer fan with their hometown roots in none other than the almighty Green Bay, Wisconsin. 

The Suerbowl started at 5:30 PM Standard Central time Sunday evening, which put the start time here in Germany at 12:30 AM on Monday morning.  Superbowl Monday anyone?  Many were surprised to hear I was going to stay awake into the early morning hours over a sporting event (Especially those who  have known me to sleep through a variety of games in my past.. I must admit, sometimes my fan qualities are quite embarassing.. ) But you had to be kidding yourself if you thought I wouldn't go through thick and thin to watch this game live.  THIS IS MY TEAM. MY CITY. MY PEOPLE. MY LOVES.  I was wide awake, twitching actually, by the beginning of the game. 

 

For the festivities, my friends and I found ourselves at a local Mexican bar here in Marburg.  I know, it's kind of a boggling thought, but whatever works, right?  They had a mexican food buffet for the game which we all took advantage of (German Beer and Nachos.. sounds like the ultimate Superbowl package to me..) and settled in for the game.   By the beginning of the game we discovered that Carissa (From Waukesha, WI) and I were probably some of the most die-hards in our section of the bar quite quickly, but hey.  There were some good sports in there willing to scream with us.  Tense moments in the game has us freaking out, I mean it was 3 am our time, the time alone had our emotions all over the place.  But it was an amazing game.  When it came down to the final moments of the game, with about 1 minute left on the clock and the other team only 6 points, one touch down, away from beating us, I don't think Carissa and I even breathed.  And then they thew the interception.  We took a sigh, a momentary calculation to realize we had won, and then flew out of our chairs screaming, shaking, and celebrating loud enough to make sure our team heard us all the way from our little Marburg.  It was a crazy evening.  The late night partiers at the bar (who I am quite sure had no idea how the game worked or who the packers even were) were celebrating with us, taking shots on their own, screaming PACKERS BABY PACKERS *add German accent* and dancing.  It was amazing.  I felt such a strong pull towards home, it was unreal.  I almost cried at one point, but ehmm well, didn't I guess?  Watching everyone in Green Bay celebrate the win on the news sites this morning made me feel a slight tinge of homesickness, but it may just be the envy of them being there in the amazing atmosphere of the epic win.  Here are some photos of the night.. and congrats Green Bay.  Home is where the heart is, and my heart is DEFINITELY home with my team today <3

"Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. " - Vince Lombardi

Welcome Home Lombardi Trophy, Welcome Home. 


 

One additional note- the last time the Packers won the Superbowl? I was in Kindergarten.  It's definitely their turn to shine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment