Saturday, August 28, 2010

Wilkommen zu Marburg!

So, today is Saturday and I have now been in Germany for a complete 24 hours.  My flights all were on time and efficient (couldn't complain about the overseas flight; it only took 6 hours and 20 minutes compared to the normal 8) and my host sister Sarah Fuchs met me at the airport. 
Yes, that's all my luggage.  You'd have that much too if you were going away for a year! Ok, so I actually fully regret taking that much luggage.  We had to haul it from train to train after leaving the airport, and when you only have 6 minutes to make it across an entire train station to catch your connecting train, you really don't want 150 pounds of luggage.  Especially when your biggest suitcase (the blue one in this photo above) decides to break its wheel.  But, I'm in Marburg now and happy to have all my things, so eh.  Minor detail. 

Marburg is, quite simly, breathtaking.  Its in the mountains, but they're more like tiny mountains.  I thought I would die from the extreme hills, but it turns out there are elevators to take you from the lower part of the town to the upperstadt (upper city).  I definitely will survive.  There are cobble stones everywhere, cute little stores with beautiful things for sale in the windows, bicycles lining the streets everywhere and old romantic bavarian houses.  It seriously feels as though I've wandered into a fairy tale.  I love it here.  Love, love, love it.  Also, the city already feels amazingly quite safe.  It's so cozy and old and somewhat small, that it really isn't all that dangerous or threatening of a place.  In fact, I really wouldn't even call it a city, its more of a cute, large town. 

The other great thing about Marburg is the food.  We went out to dinner at an extremely cute, old little German Restaurant up in Upperstadt, and my entire meal only cost me 8 euro, with the drink.  This was an extremely nice restaurant too, with mirrors everywhere, roses on the tables and candles.  Sooo cute!  This was my dinner..
It's a baguette with fresh Mozerella, Tomatoes and some herb along with a huge salad.  Soo simple but sooo good. 

So far the only bad news I have to share is that my apartment isn't quire ready.  When my apartment owner's friend picked us up at the trainstation yesterday, she informed us of the bad news but quickly reassured us that we had a hotel room rented for us by the parent's of the girl who owns the apartment.. I hope this all makes sense.. But anyways, long story short, I'm in an extremely beautiful hotel room in the center of town.  The hotel is modern with bright colors and seriously the most comfortable beds.. ever.  I may be prejudice considering that I hadn't slept in about 38 hours, but, I doubt it.  These beds are pretty darn nice.  Looking out our window I can see the elevators to the Upperstadt, cars passing by, a TON of bicycles, and the older buildings on the side of the mountain.  Again, gorgeous.  I feel as though I'm going to start over using that adjective, but, I suppose it could be worse.  This is the view from the hotel:

Another cool thing I saw from my window this morning, was this car.  It had some ribbons on the top and some flowers on the dash board, so I asked my host sister what was going on with this car, and this is their version of a "Just Married" car.  True, it's much less distracting, but still, it's quite cute :)

Ok, so now I'm off to start the rest of my day.  It's 11:38 AM here, which means it's only about 4:38 AM there.  I hope you all enjoy the photos, and I also hope I remember to stop assuming their water isn't carbonated.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I told my family I'm going to visit for you for spring break and I think I've found a way to fund it as well. They can't stop me so..... lol. I'm going to need a passport someday right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I don't know if you know this, but there is some kind of demon behind you in your profile picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg Steph! This blog is SO great-- and it looks really adorable and totally professional. The only problem is that it's making me TOTALLY jealous... I mean, that sandwich looked oh so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Steph, so doll ist mein Englisch nicht und du sollst ja deutsch üben ;) Willkommen in "good old Germany". Dein Blog gefällt mir sehr gut(Seve hatte mir grad den Link geschickt), Marburg scheint ja wirklich schön zu sein. Ich wünsch dir eine gute Zeit, und zu einem Besuch bist du herzlich willkommen.
    Ein schönes Wochenende und trotz aller Schwierigkeiten ein guten Start
    Gruß Dina- Seve´s Mama

    ReplyDelete